Today I am going to talk about cleaning a Drain. Cost effective, healthier for your family and pets, and your drain comes out clean and clog free.
A lot of people wait until their drains are clogged and they run out and buy a harsh drain cleaner. have you read the ingredients on those? Not to mention the cost even WITH a coupon! I suggest cleaning your drains once a month, or more if you need to. It keeps them free flowing, it's all natural so it won't hurt your septic system, AND it can make them smell better!
- Pour about 1/2 of the box of baking soda down the drain. This is done dry, just dump it right down the drain.
- Gather up your rags, and have them ready at your side.
- Following the baking soda, pour 1/2 cup of vinegar down the drain. Immediately after you pour it in, be sure to plug the drain with the cloth or rag, filling the hole completely so nothing can escape. This is because the interaction of the two ingredients, vinegar and baking soda, will cause a “mini volcano” that will want to come up and out of the drain – but you want to keep it down there.
- Leave this concoction in the drain for about 30 minutes. While you are waiting, boil a tea kettle full of water.
- After 30 minutes, remove the cloth or rag and slowly pour the boiling water down the drain.
For Kitchen drains with a garbage disposal I always grind up a lemon, orange or lime when I am done. It smells fresh and can really help keep your drain clean!